Mar 24, 2009

Point Reyes and Environs

This past Saturday we started our team ride from the Bear Valley Visitor Center in Olema. One thing I noticed while driving there that morning was a formidable hill less than a mile from the starting point. I thought to myself, "Are we gonna have to climb that hill later? Nahhh... that's not the route I remember from before." Lesson: If you feel compelled to wonder, it means you will end up doing it.

Listening to nutrition clinic pre-ride
(that's me on the right)





I did this 40 mile ride during my first season with TNT, and what I remember were great views and a super-hard climb somewhere along the route (refer to paragraph one). But being the seasoned cyclist that I am (proclaimed with swaggering bravado), I was not too worried about a 40 mile ride. Hmmm... I did not, however, factor in the weather, my lack of proper clothing layers, my lack of sleep, and an extremely inconvenient climb at about mile 7.


When I do these longer rides, I really feel like it takes 15-20 miles for me to properly warm up. But on this ride, I don't feel like I ever warmed up. The climb at mile 7 was more difficult than I imagined. I was tired, sluggish, feeling every extra pound on my body. On climbs like this I always question why I ride... a thought I dismiss when I remember my health. Sure, I'm struggling. Blood vessels feel like they can burst and the top of the hill is nowhere in sight... but I always have the option to simply unclip and stop if I want to. It's not like chemo. I have options.

Putting that first climb behind me, the rest of the ride was just okay. Such a contrast from last weekend's ride when I felt really strong. I'm sure a lot of it had to do with sleep deprivation, and the chilly weather that eventually turned rainy. I didn't have the right jacket with me and rode too cold the whole time. My descending was sadly sub-par, too. I kept neglecting to get into my drops and then suffered when I had to use a death grip to brake- and with little effect given the wet weather.


We eventually made it to that hill I remembered on the drive. I had steeled myself for it and was pleasantly surprised to get up it easily! I remember this hill being really unbearable my first season, which was an affirmation of my progress over the past two years. There was a potluck at the end of the ride, and I had a nice time huddling with the coaches and staff (we were the only ones that stuck around), trying to keep warm and dry while we waited to cheer in the last team.


Keeping warm with Coaches K. Sue and Steve, waiting for the last team...

... and here they are


No comments:

Post a Comment